Smoke-Free Guidance for Housing Providers and Landlords
Implementing a smoke-free policy is one of the best ways property managers and owners can protect their investment and the health of their residents and staff.
Did you know...
- It is 100% legal for an owner or manager to restrict or ban smoking in all or part of the property they own or manage?
- You can save thousands of dollars turning over an individual unit if a resident doesn't smoke indoors?
- The majority of residents in market and affordable housing in Colorado want smoke-free policies where they live?
- There is no way to filter smoke from the air or purify the air that is contaminated from secondhand smoke?
- The only way to protect other residents from smoke is to ban indoor smoking?
- You can reduce your liability and chances of fire, and you might qualify for reduced insurance premiums if you enact a smoke-free policy?
Learn more about the health and economic benefits of smoke-free housing policies, find tools for staff and resident education, locate links to cessation resources and find information, resources and assistance in implementing a policy.
Local public health agencies can also be a great resource for housing providers looking to implement a smoke-free policy. If your local agency does not provide assistance in smoke-free housing policies, please submit a request to DPH.TobaccoTeam@dhha.org.
Find your local public health agency.